A bittersweet holiday season

A beautiful holiday season mixed with emotions for this precious family. They are dealing with loss, joy and fear.

Reese and Regan, identical twin girls were born on November 25th via emergency c-section.  Their mom tells an amazing story:


“I was being watched very closely with two ultrasounds a week since they thought we might have some "twinning" happening where one baby gives most of the fluid to the other baby.  I went in on Thursday, November 20th to St. Cloud for my ultrasound, and Reese had fluid of 4, and Regan had fluid of 10.  I went back in the following Tuesday, November 25th, at 26 weeks pregnant, and Regan had fluid of 14, and they couldn't find any fluid around Reese. My doctors, then, decided their best chance for survival would be an emergency C-Section. They got me all ready, and when my husband arrived, they delivered out twin girls! Regan was born first at 1 pound 11 oz., and Reese came second at 1 pound 7 oz.  now, we had a family of 5 with the girls joining our 1-year-old son, Lee!  They immediately took them back to the NICU to stabilize them.  We were overjoyed with the arrival of our beautiful identical twin girls and couldn't have been happier.  The girls were put on CPAP machines to help with breathing right away.  They were our tiny miracles.  

We were called down to the girls' room in the middle of the night on November 26th, as Regan had an air bubble between her lung and chest cavity.  The doctors were very concerned for her at this point. They were able to remove the air bubble, and place a PICC line for her.  They seemed to have a sigh of relief, which made us feel a little better.  We decided to have both of the girls baptized right then.  We went back to lay down for a bit, and were awoken by our nurse just before 5 am on Thursday, November 27th, who rushed us down to the girls' room.  The doctor and her team were in the middle of doing CPR on Regan, and she said they had been doing it for about 15 minutes already.  We watched them for what seemed like an eternity, when the doctor said, "I will continue CPR on her, but I'm afraid....., but I will continue unless you tell me to stop." I turned to my husband, and said, "We have to let her stop." The worst words I had ever heard, and they were coming out of my mouth. I just couldn't believe what was happening.  We knew that she had done all she could to try to save our sweet Regan, but she had exhausted all options.  Our baby had become an angel in that instant.  We were able to spend the day holding Regan and praying over her.  A photographer had come in to take some beautiful pictures of our girl that we will treasure forever.  She was only with us for 2 short days, but she left an impact that we will never ever forget.  We had a touching funeral service for Regan that following Wednesday.  The outpouring of love and support we received from our family and friends was overwhelming.  Amidst all of this sorrow, we still had our daughter, Reese, to continue our fight for.  She was stable and doing relatively well.  The week of December 1st, she started to have dips in her heart rate and more occurrences of apneas (times when she would stop breathing).  The doctors were monitoring this, and tweaking her medications as this went on.  On Sunday, December 7th, it had become too much, and started to effect her other systems.  The doctors said, at this point, we should transfer her up to the U of M Children's Hospital.  If she would need a surgery or anything right away, they have surgeons and specialists at the ready.  They took her by ambulance to Minneapolis, and we were there shortly after.  They immediately went to work on Reese by pumping her full of fluid, as she was dehydrated.  They started her on several antibiotics too.  They thought, initially, that she had NEC (necrotizing entero colitis) which effects the intestines, and part of her intestine may have died off.  They also found that she had an infection within her blood.  With all the fluids they had to give her, she became about twice her size of when she arrived.  This was all very hard to see, along with all of the IV's they had coming from every limb, and even her head.  The first few days were touch and go, and they even considered surgery on her intestines due to the NEC, but eventually decided to continue on with a less invasive route of working with her antibiotics first to see how she responds.  They weren't even sure she would survive a surgery.  Sure enough, she started showing signs of improvement in the next couple days!  They, now, think she never had NEC, and her other systems were responding like that due to the infection in her blood.  They had a specialized infectious disease team come in and pinpoint the certain types of antibiotics she needs, and they started her on those.  She is currently on an oscillator to help her breathe, but she is resting comfortably.  They just started her on a very tiny amount of breast milk.  She has come a very long way from day one here, and she in an incredible fighter.  She has been through more in her short 3 weeks here than most people have to endure in a lifetime.   We hope and pray for our tiny miracle to come through this so we can take her home to join our family and live a happy life.”


Please donate so that we can help more families like this one!